Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Updates

I am currently sitting under the awning of the hotel courtyard. In the background is the periodic (every fifteen minutes) sound of a nearby churchbell and perhaps even more often the sound of an emergency vehicle with its two tone alarm. Having just finished a morning caffé and orange, I'm wondering what to do with myself. I have about two hours until I have to be back at the hotel and in that time I could walk around the Forum (which, by the way, I did yesterday). I could also walk to the Vatican and back. I wonder if I can just walk into St. Peter's. It's possible, I suppose. That's how the Pantheon worked.

In case you missed it, I am in Rome, Italy, sharing The Albergo "Sole" with 47 other architecture majors and an assortment of French, German, and other tourists. My studio is in an old Roman Palazzo and it looks the part. My desk is right by a window which opens up on a balcony overlooking the intersection of Via Monterone and Via dei Redentoristi.

Already I have seen San Eustachio, the Pantheon, Il Gesu, and numerous other churches. I have encountered the Colosseum, the Forum, the Round Temple by the Tiber...the Tiber....I crossed the Tiber. I was on the Sistine Bridge. In other words, I've already had so many adventures and haven't even been here for a day.

Anyway, I'll be updating periodically and probably be making comments on the System here in Italia. For more spiritual updates: The Third Order.

Don't worry, pictures next time.

5 comments:

thisjourneyofmylife said...

Wow, you sure did a lot in one day ... I'm looking forward to the pictures. Is it allowed to be a bit jealous? I've always wanted to visit Rome and now that I'm Catholic, that desire has only grown. Rome is just so interesting and full of history ...
By the way, we're in the same time zone now.

N.W. Thomas said...

You should come visit! (although it's probably pretty expensive) There's a probability that I will be going at least as far north as Paris at some point in the year, but Belgium is a bit far for a weekend trip. (Belgium used to be my favorite country because a) it was French Speaking and I used to be a francophile and b) It was a Monarchy)

It is truly unreal to be walking down a street that if you close your eyes could almost be an American city, but then you look up and you are staring at a 2000 year old column. Or the place where St. Peter was held in captivity...like woah.

Yay for GMT +1!

thisjourneyofmylife said...

Belgium - Italy isn't that expensive (under €100 if you fly with RyanAir), but the stay itself is expensive. And Belgium is trilingual, the majority (60%) speaks Dutch, as do I.
I went to Greece once and that was also what made the most impression, that I walked where Paul walked 2000 years ago, that I saw the temples that people built thousands of years ago etc. It's breathtaking.

N.W. Thomas said...

I've seen flights to London that are 31 euro. But yes, I was talking about the stay itself. Of course, I myself have some pretty sweet digs, but that's paid for by tuition. I hear it's 50 euro a night at the Sole. Yeah, I knew it was trilingual, but people do speak French which is what counted. Other than that, I don't know much about Belgium.

thisjourneyofmylife said...

I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the flight. A friend of mine knows a cloister where I could stay in full pension, but it's about 60 a night, so that's a bit too expensive. To find something cheaper I would probably have to stay somewhere far from the center. I'm semi-planning to go to Rome either next year or the year after with a close friend. We'll see.
You knew Belgium was trilingual? Not a lot of people know that. There isn't a whole lot to know about Belgium. We like french fries, chocolate and beer and don't have a lot of famous inhabitants or great accomplishments.