Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why I'm voting for Romney


I have been somewhat uninterested in getting embroiled in the American Political scene since it disgusts me. Yes, the European scene isn’t much better, but for some reason it seems much more amusing. Now, however, I will be digging in with gusto and I will start with my reasons for voting for Romney. 

I don’t like either of the candidates. Obama seems to me to be an idealist for all the wrong ideals and Romney seems to me to be a pragmatist for all the wrong...pragmats? One the one hand, I can respect Obama for trying to stick his “progressive” “liberal” ideals and following through in his autocratic scheme to bring hope back to America. The problem is, he is often unable to support these ideals/principles for the annoying reason that they can’t be supported. Giving women free contraceptives does not grant them economic freedom. In fact, forcing women to buy insurance or to use insurance that supplies contraceptives means that that money can not be used for anything else, regardless of whether said woman wants to buy said contraceptives. This isn’t freedom. This is being shackled to a drug-and-rubber ideology which will drive our moral stamina and economic independence out the window. 

Obama says that he believes the Free Enterprise system to be the most important system ever (my paraphrase) and I almost believe him. Except he’s caught in between believing that and believing that Fairness dictates that those who can give more must give more under penalty of law. Not to harp on economic freedom, but does he care about economic freedom? I kind of doubt it. He wants poor women to be forced into insurance plans that cover contraceptives for free, but doesn’t allow that monetary credit to be used for other things should said poor women desire it. Also, he wants rich women to have to use their money how he (or the government) dictates. They must purchase contraceptives with their insurance and they must pay a substantially higher rate than anyone else. 

Of course, this goes for men too. They deserve economic freedom as much as women. 

Finally, Obama wants to create a culture where abortion is promoted apparently so that no one might be burdened with an unwanted child apparently in an attempt to keep the poor from becoming destitute. The thing he forgets, of course, is the economic destitution isn’t the only kind of destitution. A culture built on death is not a wealthy culture. It is a culture that will eventually commit suicide when it finds itself in the way of the economic progress of mankind. Abortion will not solve our social ills because our progress will be based on our ability to kill the unwanted. 

Obama’s support of contraception, abortion and economic slavery cause me to turn my attention to Romney. Some might say that one should not vote for a candidate because he/she is not perfect, and Romney is not perfect. I don’t want to vote for Romney because as I said, I don’t like him. He seems to me to be a politician who will do anything to get elected and to get an agenda done whether he believes it is right or not. 

He is in charge of appealing to the Conservative Christians and as such, proclaims a somewhat pro-life position, looking specifically at Catholics when he chose Paul Ryan as his running-mate. I’m not sure why, maybe to appeal to moderates, but he has been watering down the prolife position for some time and indeed has not even always held a prolife position. 

And so you might wonder why I want to vote for him. The reason is that Obama vigorously supports things I disagree with. Romney on the other hand, doesn’t seem to vigorously support anything, but rather makes motions in one or more directions that I agree with. I would rather force Romney to follow up on these motions than have to deal with direct attacks on my conscience and my ideals from Obama. 

The perfect candidate doesn’t exist and never will. Obama has shown himself to be antithetical to much that I believe in. Romney, for all his failings as a person, at least will have to be accountable to ideals for which he claims some affinity. 

Of course, this will require those of us who vote for him to hold him accountable. I do not mind that responsibility. That is why I will vote for Romney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. Romney wants to over turn Roe vs Wade, his party believes that women won't get pregnant during "legitimate rapes" (morons), Romney doesn't believe in FEMA (talk to me after the mess from hurricane Sandy is cleaned up ok?), his running mate Ryan voted to severely cut the funds for embassy security (stop blaming Obama for Benghazi and talk to Ryan), ask Romney why he wouldn't answer the questions regarding eliminating government agencies such as FEMA in the wake of hurricane Sandy's aftermath (talk about avoidance issues), talk to the people in Staples and Dominos who are Romney's main success stories; they pay piss poor wages that do not match cost of living expenses (Romney's answer is to take out a huge loan!). Talk to the people affected by Bain, ask him about the $38K tax break on his property taxes in Utah that he ALLEGEDLY didn't notice (and I have a bridge to sell you in Cuba).

Oh what else... oh he has ZERO government experience and last time I checked those of us who live in Massachusetts are glad he's GONE. He talks about how he didn't raise the taxes here but he definitely raised state fees on things we need like fishermen fees, signage fees, real estate fees, and gun permit fees, all the while cutting taxes on MILLIONAIRES like himself. Yet calls the rest of us the 47% who allegedly do not pay taxes. He's even changed his campaign to mirror Obama's 2008 campaign. He's the new face of "change" now? Really? I bet he's in his car every day saying "Yes We Can!" Good luck voting for this jerk.

I could go on for days buddy. This guy is all about business, that's all he knows. Last I checked businesses he dealt with were doing poorly while he made out like a fat rat.

Mysteryuz